Ingredients: Scorpions 蝎子, Blood Loaf 血液麵包, Noodles 麵條, Duck , Turtle , Larvae 幼蟲, Stinky Tofu 臭豆腐, Toad 蟾蜍, Rice 水稻
SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS PRODUCT MAY INCLUDE SLEEP DEPRIVATION, SQUAT TOILET USAGE, AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS.

Monday, November 7, 2011

798 Art District

If you remember I have been here before. But Theresa and I decided it was time to hit up the art district again today and what an excellent decision that ended up being! We spent most of our day outside exploring the area. We tried to go down paths that we didn't get to last time. We saw some very interesting things.

I know this is highly disturbing and inappropriate and that you will never lose this image... However, I had to share with you the true nature of Chinese art.

I met this very nice man in a store window. Please excuse Santa's reflection... He couldn't help but appear in many 798 pictures.

Excuse me, is this seat taken?
Speaking of Santa Claus... He was everywhere today. I must say that it was a pleasant surprise. Seeing as I am somewhat of a Christmas freak.



My favorite part of the day was enjoying the beautiful Fall weather. It got pretty chilly when the sun started going down but before hand it was quite the party!

Getting ready

It's definitely Autumn around here
798 is maybe my favorite place in the city. It is beautiful and rustic with this totally modern and industrial feel. I know that is kind of an oxymoron but the place is hard to describe. There were a few couples doing engagement and bridal photo sessions. It is basically a photographer's heaven. Street after street after street of art work fills dozens of blocks. There are sculptures inside and out and the aura of the place is so laid-back. Theresa and I talked about how there is such a difference between Beijing dirty and 798 dirty. Yes, there is construction and noise and a few piles of trash in the alleyways of 798 but you can actually smell the weather and breathe in happiness while pondering the galleries. I mean, it SMELT like Fall outside today. Usually in Beijing it just smells like "turtle water" and sewage goo. Yes... those are scientific terms. You wouldn't understand unless you've been here. 798 is such an open space and it's the only place I have seen in China that really shows the stories, struggles, happiness, and turmoil in this country. Artists seem to be the only people unafraid to "speak" their minds. The art is amazing. I feel like a lot of it shows so much truth.


We had a really great time in Beijing today. I have exactly six more weeks to see the city before coming home in December. I can't believe I have already been here six months (well almost six months). So much has changed in my life. So many good things have happened to me. Even if I don't always feel like it. Coming here was a good decision. I let go of a lot of my unhappiness and really did cleanse myself of everything bad in my life. I am happy that I am here, but I am definitely ready to see home and all of my family and friends. We have another exciting day ahead of us tomorrow and many more things to see over the next six weeks!

Mandarin lesson:
Qiūtiān 秋天 (Autumn) 

PS- Can you believe I updated twice in one day? Woah. Also- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD! Shēngrì kuàilè, bà ba! 




2 comments:

  1. I beg of you to delete the picture of the chinese disgust please. That is not art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! I need the image burned into other people's minds, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking interest in my story! I love hearing from readers!