Ingredients: Scorpions 蝎子, Blood Loaf 血液麵包, Noodles 麵條, Duck , Turtle , Larvae 幼蟲, Stinky Tofu 臭豆腐, Toad 蟾蜍, Rice 水稻
SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS PRODUCT MAY INCLUDE SLEEP DEPRIVATION, SQUAT TOILET USAGE, AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Drama never ceases

How is it that even when you move halfway around the world there is still drama in your life? I try to throw cliches at myself to calm down.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Leave the drama to your mama.

But somehow here it is. Annoyance never stays at bay for long.

I am trying to envision what things will be like for me when I move back to Virginia in June. I know it is a long time away but really it will be here before I know it. I was hoping that with a year's break from everything life would be a bit easier at home. I am realizing that is probably not the case. Maybe I should move to another country again instead of going home for good? I was thinking Italy would be nice.

I am considering starting back to school this Spring. Yes, this Spring. I want to get certified to teach English Language Learners. I found an online program from Shenandoah University. I am not sure if I want my Master's in ELL or just the certification. I think for now I could start with the certification (which is only 12 credit hours) and then work on the Master's when I am finished. I don't really want to devote a lot of time to getting the certification right now but I think it would be worth it to start the program. I need to figure out the cost and what kind of work I would have to do on my courses.

Good things are coming from this experience. I have learned that at work you have to be flexible (Gasp! Dr. G- all these years you were right). I have gained confidence when communicating with parents and my boss. I have also realized that I love working with younger kids and children who do not speak English. Oral English is my favorite class here to teach by far and I enjoy it mostly because it is so freaking cool to hear a kid speak in a language opposite of the one they know. Last week there was a little girl whose first language was Korean. She did not know Chinese or English. She followed along fine in the gym and music room and was able to use the vocabulary that we were learning. Once we got into the art room we were starting to realize that she wasn't really able to follow either of our directions (Chinese or English). Her mom ended up coming in once she saw that her daughter seemed a little lost. She told us that she only spoke Korean. I mean, how incredibly awesome is it that this girl could pretty much do what we were asking and she didn't understand either one of us?? I am also holding steadfast in my decision that early childhood and kindergarten education is where I want to be. Working with these little ones is sure to put a smile on my face even when I am having an Alexander day.

Mandarin lesson:
Xìjù 戏剧 (drama)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking interest in my story! I love hearing from readers!