Ingredients: Scorpions 蝎子, Blood Loaf 血液麵包, Noodles 麵條, Duck 鴨, Turtle 龜, Larvae 幼蟲, Stinky Tofu 臭豆腐, Toad 蟾蜍, Rice 水稻
SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS PRODUCT MAY INCLUDE SLEEP DEPRIVATION, SQUAT TOILET USAGE, AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

I am sad

that my VPN is not working... I am missing Facebook and blogging and TMZ. I am missing quality computer time. Thankfully China sells cheap DVDs. They may not believe in the internet being used for social media but they do believe in selling dirt cheap DVDs. I bought Dexter Season 4 a few nights ago for 40 RMB. Which is basically $6. Brand new! You buy the DVDs for 8 RMB a piece. So, if you buy a season of something you pay for each DVD in the set. Dexter had five DVDs so I spent 40 qwai.


I am about to hit my three week anniversary in China. It is hard to believe it has been so long. I have never spent this long away from home. That is pretty sad... In these three weeks I have already grown very proud of myself. I walk everywhere. I eat (almost) anything. I can catch a taxi by myself. I can ride the subway by myself. I can order (some) food by myself. I have been living by myself for these three weeks. It is great how much I have to depend on myself to do things. I really don't feel like my life was that way at home. I knew there were many people I could lean on to get things done for me. That is just not the case here.


I have a few goals for when I go to Wuhan. Mainly I want to pick up on a lot more Chinese. I will be the only native English speaker at work and I will be in a city with a very small expat community. Hopefully this will help push me into learning and using more Mandarin. Right now I am a little embarrassed to try to speak it because I feel like I will not say anything right. I need to break out of my shell and just start speaking this darn language. I have been listening in on people's conversations. Be it at work, on the street, people on the phone, in a taxi... wherever. I try to figure out what they are talking about without really knowing any of the words they are saying. I am definitely becoming more aware of the way foreigners must feel in America. I used to be one of those people who said if you were going to move to another country then you have to learn the language. It is much harder than I thought.


I have been practicing how to order things in a restaurant...


Mandarin lesson:
Fúwùyuán 服务员 (waiter) Càidān 菜单 (menu) Màidān (check) yīngwén càidān 有英文菜单 (English menu) Kuàizi 筷子 (chopsticks) Sháozi 勺子 (spoon) Jiǎozi 饺子 (dumplings) Cāntīng 餐厅 (restaurant)

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. You are becoming the woman you talked about wanting to be when you were a little girl.
    I love reading your updates. They make me smile.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking interest in my story! I love hearing from readers!