Ingredients: Scorpions 蝎子, Blood Loaf 血液麵包, Noodles 麵條, Duck , Turtle , Larvae 幼蟲, Stinky Tofu 臭豆腐, Toad 蟾蜍, Rice 水稻
SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS PRODUCT MAY INCLUDE SLEEP DEPRIVATION, SQUAT TOILET USAGE, AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Living in Communism

I have been researching what it is like living in a Communist country without much luck. It is probably a bad thing that I can't find good/bad points of view about Communism. In some respects it sounds nice to know health care and education are free of charge, unemployment rates are super low, firearms are prohibited and their usage is punishable by death, and a very low poverty rate (especially in urban areas). Poverty in China is defined by living on less than 8.16 yuan a day ($1.25 USD). I am feeling comfortable in the fact that I am not going to lead/be part of an uprising or movement to change the government. It is looking like as long as you do your job and turn a blind eye to the government, everything will be fine. Is it a little difficult to think a conservative, Republican such as myself can do such a thing? Well, yes. I believe in free speech, basic human rights, competition in business, free-thinking... But I can understand that this is a country with a different way of doing things. Who am I to judge?

Any information on living in Communism will be greatly appreciated! Please refer to the comment section below!

Mandarin lesson:
Měiguó (America)

5 comments:

  1. OK, so first of all know that Communism is a form of government, not an economic system, as practiced by the PRC. This means that you will see the rawest, purest form of free enterprise practiced wherever you go, including bribery, lying, passive-aggressiveness, and a singular focus on making as much money as possible.

    On the other hand, you will see extreme censorship in the press. This means that every piece of news you receive will be combed by censors to ensure adherence to the party line. This means the newspapers, TV shows, Internet, whatever. It is Big Brother in action in a way that is completely incomprehensible by an American.

    My dialogs with Chinese people indicate that they are comfortable with this. For example, one time I was interviewed by a reported at a Beijing news station, then sat down to lunch and shared our worlds a bit. She said that the public needs the government to filter the news because they know better than anyone else what ordinary citizens need to see. This was reflected in EVERY person I know on the Mainland. They cannot conceive living in a world where the news is unfiltered. It's not something they want at this point. Very few want freedom of speech, they could not fathom the amount of disorder it would cause. Indeed, they see the US as a chaotic society run by cowboys, and from their perspective, it's hard to argue.

    I gained the most benefit from my experience in the PRC by engaging with people without judgment, and by sharing my views only as a comparison. The moment I started to argue that my way of life was better than theirs was when the gate to friendship and openness slammed shut.

    And if you go all Tea Party on them, I will definitely have to lead an undercover operation to spring you from the hole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you know I am a Tea Party follower!! What will I do???

    Sarah Palin 2012 (I will soon see Russia from my house, too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the insight Rob. I am just falling in love with China. Thanks for sharing.

    Chelsie good that you have an innate respect for others, their opinions and their choices. You will do wonderful and they will benefit from your gift for teaching. You too are sure to benefit and learn from their way. Who knows you may change your stance to democrat or communist LOL.

    Let's leave politics aside until you come home please :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Rob.. yours is so well read ~ I will print and hang on my wall as a reminder :o)

    I know Chel.. I am a dork ~ it is ok, I accept (but you should do the same)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will attempt to leave politics aside... Hopefully I will succeed with this attempt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking interest in my story! I love hearing from readers!