Ingredients: Scorpions 蝎子, Blood Loaf 血液麵包, Noodles 麵條, Duck , Turtle , Larvae 幼蟲, Stinky Tofu 臭豆腐, Toad 蟾蜍, Rice 水稻
SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS PRODUCT MAY INCLUDE SLEEP DEPRIVATION, SQUAT TOILET USAGE, AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Picnic in the park

Last night Theresa and I had a picnic in the park. Even though I am not always totally in love with all things China, our picnic helped me see again that the people here are so amazing. T and I watched a man doing Tai Chi between some trees in a distance. We talked about how people in our hometowns would think the man was crazy if we saw him doing this at a local park. A woman was leading a dance class on the center square and her students were half my age yet far-surpassed my ballroom dancing skills. Some young men were coaching small boys and girls on roller skating. Parents were strolling through the walkways with their babies in hand. Children were running, laughing, and playing. A man set up shop next to us while he sold toys that lit up once the sun went down. A small fruit market led a bustling business in the corner of the park. Two older men laughed with each other on a bench. Many pedestrians smiled at us while they strolled by. Theresa and I ate sandwiches, carrots, and crackers with peanut butter. We sat on a bench and watched the culture laid out in front of us. I thought about how loving Chinese people are. They understand that it takes a village to raise a child. They genuinely care about each other and their surroundings. They do not need a special occasion to enjoy a day at the park. After we packed up the remains of our meal and headed back home we walked through a crowded square of many people of all ages dancing and twirling each other around. So basically what I am saying is, China is not the place we Americans tend to think it is. It is beautiful. It is kind. It is caring.

Mandarin lesson:
Měilì de  美丽的 (beautiful)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking interest in my story! I love hearing from readers!