Ingredients: Scorpions 蝎子, Blood Loaf 血液麵包, Noodles 麵條, Duck , Turtle , Larvae 幼蟲, Stinky Tofu 臭豆腐, Toad 蟾蜍, Rice 水稻
SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS PRODUCT MAY INCLUDE SLEEP DEPRIVATION, SQUAT TOILET USAGE, AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS.

Friday, May 20, 2011

I am still learning

Every new experience in Beijing is an opportunity to learn. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and decided to Skype some people then clean up the apartment. It's kind of nice to wake up so early because that way I have time to mentally prepare myself for the ridiculousness that lies ahead of me here in China.

Food today:
Breakfast- Special K bar and fruit snacks (as usual) and a cinnamon pastry thing from 7-11
Lunch- A variety of dumplings- pork, carrot, and mushroom from a yummy restaurant across the street from the office
Snack- A Cadbury Egg from Jill/Anna :)
Dinner- More dumplings from 7-11! They were out of most normal food because I got there so late... so dumplings it was.
Dessert- Another pastry thing with cream filling.

Thank you 7-11 for keeping me fat while in China.

Here's my dinner:
















I also went to Carrefour (the grocery store/"Wal-Mart"). It was a pretty interesting place. They sell everything from food to bikes to beds. Pretty much whatever you need you can find there. It was very busy and hot. We were gone from work for, like, two hours shopping. I got a lot of things I needed like toilet paper, water, a hair dryer and straightener, shampoo, and some snacks. I think the pictures will show you that it is unlike an American grocery store.
















They have an escalator type of thing that brings you upstairs and you can shop while you ride.











The meat is not refrigerated... And I didn't get a picture, but neither are the eggs. Hello salmonella! Oh, and yes those are ducks hanging by the heads... And cow hides in the picture on the right...











There is soooo much food inside the store! It is just stacked up everywhere. I was very happy to find the foreign food section where I picked up Nature Valley Peanut Butter granola bars! I think I will make it okay in China.

Yesterday we at lunch in a park... Here is part of the park:
















It looks pretty in this picture, but in actuality it is not really... They like to dig up trees and replant them so it is basically a dirt park once you get inside.

Here is our building. I will try to get some pictures of the classrooms tomorrow or Sunday.




















Our school is on the third floor and our business offices are on the eleventh floor (which is really the 10th). Chinese people believe the number 4 means death so there is no 4th floor. Nor is there a 13th or 14th floor. Although 4 is unlucky, 8 means rich so you want to have things with a number 8. It is cheaper to get a cellphone number with a 4 in it. Are you superstitious?

I have been looking at the advertisement every day I leave my apartment:




















Your city is as delicate as a bubble and will not pop if protected by the hands of a giant.

When Chinese people talk they always sound so angry. I don't really know why. I guess it is just the different tones but it always sounds like they are pissed at the world.

I hate taxis... More on that later. I am tired and think I will watch a movie and go to bed now.

I learned a few words today. Here's one that comes in handy when trying to order food:

Mandarin lesson:
Zhè 這 (this or that) Pronounced- je-guh (rising tone)

1 comment:

  1. i see mickey mouse in those bubbles! ~ the other Cpait

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking interest in my story! I love hearing from readers!